amis au fil des ans

just a few good friends, sharing adventures in family, arts, and sometimes heavy machinery

progress report…

first an update on the dining room.  brendan and i successfully peeled all the old wallpaper off and did not cause any damage to the existing wainscot…or each other.  whew!

i know it doesn’t look terribly attractive but it will!  all the paper was cut off around the molding and peeled off.  the walls were scrubbed with a bleach solution (what an awesome product bleach is…).  the seams were all caulked.  do you guys use caulk when you paint?  after living in 3 houses and painting most of the rooms of each one we have just now started using caulk.  brendan and i both think it is the difference between a “good” and a “professional” paint job…thoughts?  discuss.

the carpenter came by on friday and straightened out those french doors too.

the plasterers came to give the wall that is receiving new molding a nice skim coat.

and then cora came and gave the plaster a nice rustic look.  not quite what i was going for when i paid $200 to have it done all smooth and gorgeous…

to wrap up the weekend, progress was made on the sewing front!  4 burp cloths and 8 bibs are done.  almost.  still have to hammer the snaps in but i need the girls to be asleep for the night for that.  their nap sleep isn’t quite deep enough and i can’t risk waking them up.  best to let the beauties get their zzzzzzzzzzs…

Advertisements

Single Post Navigation

7 thoughts on “progress report…

  1. Always caulk!! And always wipe down the walls and moldings with a sponge first to get the dust off. I am a huge caulk fan. I caulk the heck out of everything, it hides mistakes small and large and gives a nice, clean finish. I’ve found that I am not a specialty tool person when it comes to caulking and painting. I hate those caulk smoother tools and I hate painting edgers. I prefer to use my finger and a good old-fashioned paintbush respectively. But I’m old school on pretty much everything as it is…I know it’s not for everyone. Your dining room is looking great!

    • sedwards515 on said:

      thanks! and i am with you all the way here! finger for smoothing the caulk and just going slow and steady with a paintbrush for edges and trim. hoping to start getting some paint up later this week. we are planning on going all grey for the walls (wainscot included), crown molding, and ceiling. the baseboards, window trim, doors, and door casings will be in white.

      • Same here….caulk, no tape when painting. Joe thought I was crazy until he saw how much it is easier that way. Sarah – the place does look great. A huge project, but it will be so worth it!

  2. BTW, how do you make your bibs? I like how the chenile looks “shaggy”. I did the ultimate blunder this weekend – made a bib with cotton top fabric, batting for the middle and flannel for the back…but I put the 3 in the wrong order and when I went to turn them inside out the batting was on the outside. DOH! If I had a nickle for every time I had to use my seam ripper, I swear…

    • sedwards515 on said:

      the chenille will just look shaggy due to it’s nature. i have a pattern i use and i trace it on the wrong side of the cotton fabric, then i cut that out in a rectangle (try to give yourself at least a 1/2 inch on the sides and top of the trace line as you don’t want to waste fabric but you need some to work with when sewing; and then you need at least an inch at the bottom so you can catch it when you do the top stitching), lay that right side down on top of chenille that is right side up, cut the chenille to the size of the cotton, pin (i put a pin in each corner on the OUTSIDE of the trace line to help maneuver the bib when sewing the neck line, one in the neck “hole” and one at the bottom), and sew along the trace line. then cut, turn it right side out, shove some interfacing where the snaps will go, iron, top stitch, and apply the snaps. simple. lol! it sounds like a lot more steps than it really is…

      and ohmylord…the number of times i have sewn right side to wrong side…ugh! my seam ripper and i are great friends. great!

      • Ooh, I just got a tip here. I have been tracing, cutting, pinning, then sewing. Cutting after sewing is so much better. I have a feeling I will make less errors. Thanks!

  3. Yes! When I cut first, I ALWAYS end up with pieces that are not sewn together because the fabric moved, even while pinned. So now I cut out the top portion and just cut a big rectangle for the botton, then sew ’em together and cut afterwards. I never have to worry about the bottom fabric moving and not getting sewed. One of my million lessons learned from mistakes.

share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: