and i do mean simple. simple i tell you! i think it took 30 min? maybe less. opens a world of possibilities for my girls’ closets…
1. cut your fabric. i intended to keep mine the full width of the original fabric (44 / 45″) but one piece was smaller than the other so i had to trim them to the same size. so just pick the width you want. for i would recommend a 1:2 or 1:2.5 ratio so it has some twirl to it. (i.e., measure your recipients waist and then multiple by 2 or 2.5 to get the width needed.) i also chose to have the larger piece be 2″ longer than the smaller piece. for this skirt the larger piece is 11″ and the smaller is 9″.
2. for the smaller width piece i sewed the salvage ends together, right sides together. i just made sure my seam was inside the white part of the salvage. no need to serge or zig zag stitch since the salvage ends won’t shred. for the piece whose salvage i had to cut i sewed the raw ends together right sides together and then zig zag stitched the raw ends. iron your seams.
3. hem both pieces. i opted for a small hem but you can use whatever look you like best. i folded under 1/4″ and then another 1/4″ and top stitched. (sorry no pictures!)
4. put the smaller piece inside the larger piece with right sides facing up on both. so the right side of the smaller piece is facing the back of the larger piece. make sure your fabric is facing the right directions if you are using unidirectional fabric. sew along the top with a 1/4″ seam allowance. (note: this step made me think for a bit to make sure when i turned it, the pieces would lay right.)
5. open the skirt up and iron the seam to one side. then fold the top over and press the seam.
6. sew along the top with a 1/8″ seam allowance. this will help the band stay up more.
7. depending on the width of your elastic, sew a line the width of your elastic + 1/2″ below the top seam. be sure to leave a 2 inch gab to thread your elastic through. back stitch at start and finish.
8. attach a safety pin to your elastic and thread it through. (note: the opening to thread it through is between the 2 layers.) i cut my elastic the width of the recipients waist +1″. zig zag stitch the elastic closed.
9. pulling the skirt taught, close up the hole.
10. done! simple, right?